Species Native or Naturalized in the Continental US

No USDA permits are required for native or naturalized species of mantids within the Continental US.

Importation or Possession of Exotic Species in the Continental US

Both importation and possession of exotic mantids requires USDA permits (even for common species such as orchid mantises [Hymenopus coronatus]). To have the permits approved, you must have a containment facility set up. The USDA’s reason behind such strict requirements is that accidentally disseminated exotic mantids could have a major effect on pollinators. If you are able to obtain the permits to import, then also check with the FWS as a FWS permit is required to import any animal (exemptions for personal pets may apply).