With some species-specific exceptions, all movements of darkling beetles require USDA permits, and exotics require containment facilities. I currently have the permits for a number of US natives, such as common Eleodes species, and these do not require containment in most situations.
None of the following species require permits for interstate movement within the Continental US.
- Oryzaephilus mercator — Merchant Grain Beetle
- Oryzaephilus surinamensis — Sawtoothed Grain Beetle
- Tenebrio molitor — Mealworm
- Tenebrio obscurus — Dark Mealworm
- Tenebroides mauritanicus — Cadelle Beetle
- Tribolium castaneum — Red Flour Beetle
- Tribolium confusum — Confused Rice Flour Beetle
- Zophobas morio — Superworm