With some species-specific exceptions, all movements of darkling beetles require USDA permits, and exotics require containment facilities. I currently have the permits for a number of US natives, such as common Eleodes species, and these do not require containment in most situations.

Species-Specific Exceptions

None of the following species require permits for interstate movement within the Continental US. 

  • Oryzaephilus mercator — Merchant Grain Beetle
  • Oryzaephilus surinamensis — Sawtoothed Grain Beetle
  • Tenebrio molitor — Mealworm
  • Tenebrio obscurus — Dark Mealworm
  • Tenebroides mauritanicus — Cadelle Beetle
  • Tribolium castaneum — Red Flour Beetle
  • Tribolium confusum — Confused Rice Flour Beetle
  • Zophobas morio — Superworm