Scarab Exceptions


Dung beetles do not require USDA permits for interstate movements. Importation does not require a PPQ 526 permit, but the VS requires stringent containment measures due to the association of dung beetles, dung, and possible diseases present in dung. 


No USDA permits are needed to import, own, sell, or move beetles in the genus Goliathus. Unlike most scarab beetles, Goliath beetles are carnivorous as larvae. Individual states can still have their own rules (FL likely has some), but the USDA does not require permits for this genus. Also, even though the USDA does not require a permit for importation, a FWS permit is still required to import any animal (exemptions for personal pets may apply) so make sure to have the permits to avoid confiscation of such rare beetles at customs.